Thursday, October 23, 2008

Aching Heart

I'm writing an article on becoming a mother to a former charge. It reminds me how much I needed Madeline in my life, and, also, how much I miss my current kids.

I'm working sparse hours because of school as of late. Instead of having my normal class of 14 two-three year olds, I'm rotated around the school. I get great fulfillment from my job, regardless of whose class I'm in, but my kids, the kids I had everyday from April through mid September, are irreplaceable.

And they miss me too.

I was in the 'horse' classroom today, and the kids tackle me. Josie will cry if I leave for just a minute. Kids panic that I won't come back. They feel abandoned. And I feel guilty. I got to fall asleep with Elsa today at nap time. I'm her favorite teacher -all ego aside. I get to go to her birthday party this weekend which I 'm pumped for. But missing out on the day to day is starting to wear on me. The hugs, smiles, new words, art projects; the utter joy each child exudes is contagious. As I walk through the school door, my baggage falls off my back and nothing matters more than what we'll have for snack, or if Jude will sit on the potty today.

I miss my kids terribly, but am I entitled to feel this way?

No comments: